Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday Morning Team Ride Report: AKA "What Happens When Tedder Doesn't Lead the Team Ride"

Ferdinand Magellan was born circa 1480 in Portugal. However, he subsequently obtained Spanish nationality, so that he could try to find a westward route to Indonesia. He thereby became the first person to lead an expedition across the Pacific Ocean.

This is your teammate Jamie. He was born somewhere on the East Coast sometime after the death of Elvis. In an attempt to demonstrate that the quickest route to Camas from Northwest Portland is via the Northwest Territories, he was the first person to lead an expedition to Lacamas Lake up Highway 30, over the St. John's Bridge and through Smith-Bybee Park.

If this makes no sense, it shouldn't. If you don't know why this doesn't make any sense, go to google maps and map it out. Wait, I'll do it for you. I'm no geometry wizard, but it doesn't seem to me like the quickest way from point A to point B is to first head ten miles in the opposite direction. But I am female and last took a math course when I was 17. Maybe I'm missing something.

But the five hardy explorers that showed up for the Sunday morning team ride managed to survive hangovers, summer rain, gravel roads, dead ends, gonorrhea jokes and a deluge of smack talking to get in a great 65+ mile ride up and around Lacamas Lake. Thanks to Chris S. for chaperoning what would have otherwise turned into something resembling an eight-wheeled bar fight. A bar fight that Christy and I would have won, leaving the boys to ride home alone. My guess is they would still be riding around Mt. Adams looking for the shortest route into North Portland.

(PS: This hereby serves as official team notice that Jamie has been nicknamed. You all should be able guess what that nickname is.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi ! How do I contact Hammer Velo? I am looking for a women's team and would love to get in touch with someone about how to join. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contact Jeff Tedder, he is our team captain: sharkattack97219@peoplepc.com

    he can get you on his ride list and give you the skinny on our team.

    lk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay you're harsh...remember when I mistakenly thought the town of Ranier was in Washington...I now fear making any factual claims in your presence :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah...you all just need to learn to fight fire with fire. I do plenty of idiotic things and you folks just let me get away with it....

    ReplyDelete