Tuesday, July 14, 2009

PIR 7/14/09

Today's PIR started out like any normal one. The first few laps were moderately paced but then picked up for the prime. Usually after the prime the group slows considerably so it didn't bother me that I dropped to the back of the pack not wishing to contest the sprint. However we crossed the line and the pace stayed firm. I found James' wheel who was following Kolben who was trying to close a small gap that had opened in the middle of the field. We turned on the the back stretch with the wind now in our face (we were going counter clockwise) and the gap was still there. I looked down at my computer which told me we were going 25mph straight into the wind. I decided to take a drink and absentmindedly drifted half a bike length off of James' wheel. Some idiot decided to force his way into this gap and then decided he didn't like the pace because he slowed down tremendously and left me grabbing for the brakes. As I scrambled to put away my water and avoid riding into this fools rear wheel the gap between me and my teammates became larger. I tried sprinting to catch but our effort to close the gap left my legs in shambles. The sinking feeling you get when you see the field riding away came over me. No one else in my groupetto including the idiot responsible was willing to work. The gap grew larger and any hope of regaining the field was crushed. I have only been dropped one other time at PIR in my second ever race there 3 and a half years ago. James has apparently been blessed with an endless natural supply of fast twitch muscle fibers as he went on to get 2nd. Kolben deserves most of the credit on that one supplying him with a killer lead out. Further excuses for my poor performance include the fact that I worked 8 and a half hours of physical labor at my job today and I had to go #2 the entire race. Whatever though...I'll just keep doing my intervals and workouts and hope for the best. I love racing. I don't care if I get last in every race...actually I would. See you all who are going to Vancouver Crit!!!! Hoping for a good result there.
-C-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment