Monday, June 1, 2009

Fast Twitch Friday: May 29

Cramps, German and I wandered out to Alpenrose on Friday night to try out some track racing. It was Dave and I's first time track racing, and Cramps' first time since he was 19 (so, say, first time since 1974).

For novice riders, Friday night racing is held in an omnium format: three races, the overall "winner" being the rider that accumulates the most points at the end of the night.

Juan was there when I arrived and Dave, in typical Dave fashion, didn't get to warm-up because he showed up 10 minute before racing started. Juan and I did get some good warm-up laps in, and he helped diagnose, and partially alleviate, the rattling coming from my chain.

Here is my race report, I'll let the boys add theirs in later...

Race One: Alpenrose Mile. 6 lap scratch race. I spent the first four laps trying to get out from being stuck behind a very squirelly BBC junior. On the back stretch on the fifth lap, I was able to get around her and move toward the front. Attacked at the start of the bell lap and was able to hold on for the win.

Unfortunately, a rider that was trying to catch me on the front stretch ran into my calf with her front wheel when she stood up to sprint. I stayed upright, she went down pretty hard, but was able to get cleaned and bandaged up to race in the third race. Her tire left a second degree burn on the back of my calf, bruised my ankle bone and destroyed the buckle on my right shoe.


Race Two: Ten Lap Tempo Race. Points given each lap, 2 for first, 1 for second. I basically hung out for the first three laps, then went high, moved out front, accelerated and stayed out front for the final six. Hard work, especially into the wind, but I'm a bit undergeared (48x16) and was spinning out frequently-- so I didn't feeling like I was working any harder than about 80%.

(Pre-Tempo Race. Credit: Jose Brujo Sandoval)

Race Three: Unknown Distance-ride until the bell ring, then sprint like hell. At this point, I've won the omnium and decide to just sit in and work on getting comfortable in the pack. I start out in the front and fade to the back once Elena Larsen and Kristin McCarthy attack the field. Got to watch the sprint from the back...good learning.

At the end of the night, both Juan and I won the omnium for our groups. I think German's rental bike left him undergeared for most of the races and he'll be able to be more competitive with a different gear ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment