Monday, March 12, 2012

Angela's BB2 race report - HV first and second in Masters women

I arrived at 8:30 to find Daphne doing the right thing, warming up under the picnic area. At the last minute I decided to bag the trainer and planned to just ride around or not before the race. For certain there was going to be no complaining. I talked over my race strategy with Daphne. I was glad she showed up because my plan included her incredibly fine descending skills. However we couldn’t really find a reason to do anything strategic since the woman we’d be trying to get away from would most certainly jump with us. She didn’t even turn out to race with us. Just the same we were determined to race well and have a good ride.

Daphne and I set out on the front side by side for most of the first lap keeping a nice steady and moderately strong pace. The field was a little more coordinated this week than last, likely because it was so much smaller. About mid-way through lap two we found ourselves in a group of 9. ½ the ladies wanting and trying to work hard and keeping the pace up, the other ½ not wanting to or not knowing how to get out of the way. At least we were working and focused on moving along at a good clip rather than just riding. I was glad when we finally started our third and final lap.

At 3K someone took off. Those up front did not go right away, then one jumped and another, I was ready to go with the second gal, but they weren’t the ones I needed to beat. It’s kind of weird when your rival is your totally valued teammate.

There you have it.

I just didn’t want to blow up and have Daphne come flying by me as we sailed down our last descent. So, I hung back, and at 1K we started to pick it up again just to have the leaders of the Cat. 3 men come along side of us for their finish. It was a bit confusing, but they were as strung out as we were.

WE were coming up to our finish so I wasn’t going to neutralize. I simply tried to stay to the right, but then their stupid support cars filled up the lane creeping up behind them like snails. I was back to the shoulder with Daphne to the right of my back wheel. Knowing she was gonna come flying by me at any moment I kept it in the big chain ring and dug deep and tried to keep my cadence rolling hard. Looking at Rich’s video clip of the finish I am pleased to see I was the 4th woman across the line. Only now that I sit down to write this does it cross my mind that Daphne and I could have crossed the line together.

Indeed it was wet and it was kind of cold, but mostly it was wet. Racing with a rain jacket, known as a cape, was totally the ticket. Shifting was a bit of a bugger especially going back into the big chain ring at the top if the climb out of the damn. Fortunately found little to no reason to use my brakes, which is scarily difficult with frozen hands. The cold did in set once I got back to my car and got changed. For about 45 minutes the shivering was so bad I feared I was going to bite off my tongue.

Things really warmed up for John Lin and me as we led the Master 4/5 men around the course through dropping temperatures, falling winter mix and even beautiful snow. It was great to see the Hammer Velo fellas riding together and riding smart. Hugh came up with a 5th place finish with his teammates all around him. Getting to the podium next week! The sky really cleared up as we departed the venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment