Monday, March 7, 2011

Two wonderful things - Angela's BB#1 race report

Two wonderful things happened in the cat 4/ master women's race today. I finished with field and in fact was frustrated with the slowing of my fellow racers as we climbed hills. That is until the last time up the big hill. Two powerful master women turned their jets on and fired up the hill after riding at the back until then. What was pretty dang cool is that I was the only one to hang with them, until I didn't; about 3/4 of the way up I ran out of power and slowed exponentially Before that I frequently the first one over the top. For those who have raced with me in the past you know how dramatically different that is. True I would frequently get pasted for a bit mid-way up but my speed did not slow until the last heroic effort. I think I finished 5th or 6th in master wm and probably in the top 10 overall. I think it may well be more mental then physical that I did not finish one place higher. The gal that took that spot certainly kept me digging deep but not for long enough. Just the same my goal was reached in that I did not get dropped from the pack even if I did not keep up with the breakaway. Who knows what next week will be like.

The other wonderful thing is that Cristina raced discreetly and with impressive patience. Sure, she could have gone much faster, but she didn't and she most likely got 2nd or 3rd. Sure she might have gotten 1st or 2nd riding her old way but what progress she made. Instead she chastised me for pulling too much! She chatted a tiny bit, but never took a pull until the rubber hit the road on the last lap. Even then she worked with the small group to keep the pace and to keep the group working together. I am proud of her and many of you would be too.

Cristina and I stayed until late in the day volunteering for the afternoon races. I did lead car for master 4/5 men once again. Hugh and Jon Gornick set the pace the first lap. Jon keep pulling and Hugh placed himself mid-field, something I've not seen before. He stayed there until the last lap when there was a lot a battling for good positions and winning sprints. The helmet that stood out during lap 3 and 4 was Kevin's. He was a little easier to spot with his blue and white helmet. His excellent riding was noteworthy as well. That group of master 4/5 are so tight, it is pretty dang cool. I think they may have dropped a few, but no one was really gonna get away. They all ride tight and strong! Despite ferocious efforts to break things up, the field held to the finish and those who could sprint that hill and find the hole or path through others made it in the top. Kevin came in around #5, Hugh around #10. Mr. Jon Gornick used his matches up a bit earlier. He did not get dropped from the field, but he came in toward the end.

I heard Mr. Jamie Fitzgerald wasn't in the mix due to a flat early in the first lap. S***! He'll undoubtably have something more interesting to say about it.

I got to wear my new kit and LOVE IT! It looks great too!

Finally, those of us who got to start our races between 9:30 -10 had the best weather. It was fantastic!

Thanks everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment